Sunday, February 22, 2009

When Bud Light just doesn't cut it, but your wallet won't budge

Like many cash-strapped, unsophisticated young drinkers, I don't think I tasted "good beer" until I was 21. (Perhaps this is the punishment for drinking underage.) In college, I became quite familiar with the watery, bland taste of the "American classics." Bud, Miller, and Keystone relaxed my nerves, made me giggle, and impaired my motor functions on many occasions. Though we share some fond memories, I never particularly enjoyed their taste.

Ok, that's an understatement. Each gulp was a struggle. I viewed cheap beer as a necessary evil: despite its bad taste and constant demands on my bladder, it was cheap and it was the lifeblood of various social college functions. I tried finding ways around it, but wine pong just never seemed to catch on. Despite its scandalously un-American ring, I eventually came to accept my fate as a hopeless beer-hater.

Luckily, my naivete was short-lived. Some of my more cultured friends have since taken me under their wing, opening up my world to quality beer. I have to admit, my first experiences were quite exhilarating. I never knew beer came in so many categories, thicknesses, flavors, and colors. The style of the tap handles alone brought me great excitement, and the discovery of chocolate beer washed away any remnant of bitterness left residing on my tongue.

Now days, my only beef with good beer is the price tag. But, as a thrifty New Yorker, I've found ways around this dilemma. As someone who prefers quality over quantity, I think it's worth the money to buy one or two good beers and scrimp on anything else. And while I realize "one or two" beers just won't cut it for some of my readers, I have another solution: Why not start off the night at your apartment with the cheap stuff, then spend a little money on the good stuff.

Take last night, for example. My friends and I went to The Ginger Man, "A Beer Lover's Paradise," according to Newsday. This ever-so-popular midtown bar boasts an impressive 70 beers on tap and 160 bottles. And, quite surprisingly, the prices aren't all that bad; most draughts ranged from $6.50 to $8.00. They also offer a beer sampler: 4 beers of your choice for $11. Even if you don't get the beer sampler, if you bring a few friends, you can just sample each others. So, in addition to having two St. Louis Framboise's (a ridiculously girly beer that tastes like raspberry soda), I tried the Magic Hat Roxy Rolls, Dogfish Head Red & White, Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale, and the house brew, Ginger Man Ale. All for $13. Not too shabby.

P.S. I also found a great site that, among other things, lets you search bars by specific beers, specials, etc. And they offer free beer coupons.

The Ginger Man
Location: 11 East 36th St (btw. Madison and 5th)
Price Range: $6.50 +

No comments: