Monday, July 13, 2009

Demystying food expiration dates

Live or die by Use by/Sell by/Best if used by labels? I know I do. (It's hard not to after you've encountered sour milk in your cheerios.) But this video shows that, like people, processed food shouldn't be confined to a label.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLgUhyRYkVo

Most of it is common sense, but the egg-in-the-water trick is pretty neat. Not sure why you would freeze lunch meat, or who would actually call the manufacturer to inquire as to a food's freshness/safety, but, after reading some of the viewer comments, I realize that I tend to overestimate normalcy.

yesterday I was making chili cheese fries and after I ate the delicious meal I realized the chili I used were from 2004. It tasted like heaven.

ELIOZD (3 weeks ago)
thats crazy??i throw yogurt 5 days before itsexpiry date and it smells like farting:)

LondonGuysVids (2 months ago)
The powdered cheese that comes with Kraft Dinner(Mac n Cheese to everyone else outside of Canada eh), is pretty safe to use after the expiration date. Only thing is, it will taste like ass. The noodles will be perfectly fine however.

What I'm wondering is this. Is it safe to eat Campbell's "Cream of" soups about a year after the expiration date? I have several cans that expired 8 months to a year ago.

limegurl319 (2 months ago)
A friendly warning: Do not eat or open Mac n Cheese 3 years after the expiration. It's disgusting. Really. When I opened one last,the macaroni was greenish and foul smelling...

iwreckdotcom (2 months ago)
you can smoke egg shells and get throwed

hackerhell900 (2 months ago)
Really? How much do you freak out?

iwreckdotcom (2 months ago)
you ever drop acid well its kind of like that lol


No comments: