Monday, July 12, 2010

Pictures from Bastille Day

Every year NYC holds a Bastille Day celebration, or a Fête de la Fédération if you will, to honor the storming of the Bastille, France's symbolic victory against the Monarchy and the start of the French Revolution. I think it's only fitting we join in the celebration--for where would the U.S. be without France's revolutionary ideals, not to mention the wine and cheese?

The festival takes place on the Upper East Side, on 60th St. between Lexington and 5th Ave. We went on a beautiful sunny Sunday, and the streets were filled with the promise of live music (there was a stage with some equipment), a few mimes running around, raffles, face painting, crépes and pastries, and wine and cheese tastings. Some of the usual street vendors managed to sneak in (smoothie stands, NY Times stands selling crossword mugs, etc); and, save for some sausage sandwiches and "savory" crépes, there wasn't all that much in the way of food.  This seemed like a great opportunity for some French restaurants to get some exposure. Oh well, at least it gives me an opportunity to say "C'est la vie!"

And now, for some photos:

Gus didn't have a moment's hesitation to wait in line for the lamb sausage. Where did my tofurky boy go? He said the texture was a little foreign but he very much enjoyed the flavors.  They served it right off the grill in a bun with neat little lines of hot sauce and a pesto-like sauce.

2 comments:

Hakeem Olajublog said...

From what I've heard, the city makes it really difficult to get an on-street vending license. I'm sure a bunch of French restaurants would have liked to participate, but it could take months or years and a ton of paperwork to get it done. It sucks, because just about every street festival ends up looking the same. Italian food vendors and a bunch of knockoff handbags and pashminas.

This is Joe by the way. I apologize for the dreadful Blogger ID. Definitely digging your blog though.

Freckled Lemonade said...

Hahaha I wish you could have seen my face as I tried to figure out how Hakeem Olajublog found out about my blog. I'm so happy you actually read it! :) I didn't even consider that about the street vending licenses. There was a North African restaurant there, Le Souk, so I was wondering why there weren't more French restaurants, but that totally makes sense. Thanks for the info!