Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower with Cherry Vinaigrette

When I think of cauliflower, I picture their hard white florets on a customary Crudité platter, right alongside the dehydrated carrot sticks and stringy celery. To me, cauliflower was always broccoli's slighted cousin, bearing resemblance in shape but falling short of its taste, nutritional benefits, and appearance. And while I empathize with my pale pigmented brethren, I can't help but think a uniformly white vegetable is just a bit suspect.

Yet recent experiences have made me reconsider. I've grown addicted to the roasted cauliflower sandwich at Num Pang Sandwich Shop, a tiny, bustling establishment just south of Union Square that defies cauliflower's natural state by roasting it into a creamy mash. It's paired with Chinese & Thai eggplant spread and served, like all of the sandwiches, on freshly baked semolina baguettes from Parisi Bakery with pickled carrots, cilantro, cucumbers, and homemade chile-mayo. Oh lord, I need one of those sandwiches now. 

I've also had some wonderful Indian dishes that make use of cauliflower in the way that Asian dishes make use of broccoli: The spicy, creamy sauces penetrate the cauliflower florets, resulting in tender morsels bursting with flavor.

It also turns out cauliflower is pretty darn healthy. I came across an article recently, I can't remember where (though it was similar to this), that uncovered the health benefits of white vegetables. Cauliflower has no fat, is high in vitamin C, and notable for its fiber, folic acid, and potassium contents.  It's even thought to be a natural cancer fighter.  OK cauliflower, you win.

So here's a recipe I made recently that celebrates this undervalued veggie. It's very simple and makes for a great side. The cauliflower is roasted until the florets are tender and crispy on the edges, and paired with a sweet and tangy vinaigrette (the original recipe, from Vegetarian Times - not posted online yet - calls for raisins, but I opted for the deeper flavor of bing cherries).  I won't pretend the show-stealer isn't the vinaigrette, but I can't think of vegetable that would make a better pairing than cauliflower.

Roasted Cauliflower with Cherry Vinaigrette

Serves: 2-4

- Ingredients -

Roasted Cauliflower
  • 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets (1.5 lbs)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

Vinaigrette
  • 1/2 cup dried bing cherries
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

- Instructions -
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss together cauliflower, olive oil, and garlic on a large baking tray. Season with salt and pepper. Spread cauliflower in an even layer and roast 20-25 minutes, or until florets are browned on the edges.
  2. To make the vinaigrette, place cherries in heat-proof bowl and cover with 1 cup boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes or until the cherries soften and expand slightly. Blend together cherries, soaking liquid, olive oil, and vinegar in a blender until smooth. Drizzle over cauliflower or serve in a dipping pot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post again. Looks like a winner for cauliflower. Loved the "pale pigmented brethren" comment. Num Pang sandwich shop piques my interest. Jealous again of the NYers.

Dad

Freckled Lemonade said...

Thanks Dad! We'll have to make a visit to Num Pang soon, you'll love it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, i would never have put cauliflower and cherries together but I would love to try iJt!

Jean