Thursday, February 19, 2009

Snuggie Bar Crawl, Anyone?

Now, I know this post doesn't really relate to cheap NYC eats or to me personally, per se, but it's too weird to pass up sharing with my readers. Apparently, some New Yorkers have banded together, joining their love of Snuggies and beer in what will be New York City's first ever Snuggie Pub Crawl.

That's right, not only do Snuggies make you look like you belong in a cult, they're actually starting to cause people to form them. The site reads,"Even though it's just a blanket with sleeves, we're sure that you'll enjoy a winter evening spent drinking with friends and the Snuggie™." Hm, Ok.
I'll be the first to admit the Snuggie looks pretty cozy. As someone who suffers from a self-diagnosed body heat retention disorder, I completely understand the desire to be wrapped up in plush warm fabric: I happen to own a light pink floor-length robe myself, and you can bet I wear it every chance I get. Although I've never felt particularly restrained or helpless wearing my robe or wrapping myself in a blanket, I didn't judge the Snuggie and its mission to provide unrestricted comfort. I didn't scoff at the poor acting or improbable scenarios presented in the infomercial. I wanted to give it a chance.

But a Snuggie bar crawl? Really? I understand your hands are unfettered; you don't have to prove it by throwing back shots in your Snuggie in public. Nonetheless, this is why I love living in NYC. Because people are crazy. How do you feel about the Snuggie Pub Crawl. Do we have any takers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was home over Christmas week, I saw the commercial for this things at least 12 times a day. Each time I saw, I become more and more terrified of it.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure the Snuggie Pub crawl is one of the worst ideas EVER. Just because you can drink in public in a blanket doesn't mean you should. It's the same concept as grocery shopping in your pajamas (which annoys me as well). But I do want to point out that the Snuggie was not the first of this product. The original concept was called the Slanket (a blanket with sleeves) but apparently it just didn't catch on like the Snuggie has... I wonder why not?