Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Martinis: The Most Cost-Effective Cocktail


For all the thrifty drinkers out there, here's a tidbit for maximizing your bar tab: According to The Consumerist, you should be ordering a martini--"Alcohol-to-price, it's the best value out there."

This surprised me, for I always assumed the infamous Long Island Iced Tea claimed this category. With equal parts vodka, gin, tequila, rum and triple sec, thinly veiled by a few splashes of sour mix and cola, the LIT is embraced by many as a cost-effective way to get the job done.

Unlike the martini, however, the Long Island Iced Tea doesn't exactly scream sophistication or class, as evidenced by the popular college cheer "Let's get LIT tonight." (I can make fun of this because I used to be one of those people.)

But since I've graduated college, I guess it's time to graduate to the martini as well. No one really needs a drink with that many different types of alcohol anyway. And when else can you order something "dirty" and actually sound cool?

6 comments:

Spaghetti Legs said...

I think your parents may have gotten me hooked on the Hendricks Martini. It's made with Hendricks Gin and I highly reccomend it. Ask for a slice of cucumber though, no lime with Hendricks.

Anonymous said...

I'm still a LIT kinda girl...I guess I should class it up soon, huh?

Anonymous said...

Martinis are one classy drink! Plus, they have so many kinds out there--I'm a big fan of the lychee ones myself!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Another point in favor of the martini is that it's so much more impressive to order than all the default girly drinks out there. In my book, ordering a dirty martini earns a gal some street cred!

Anonymous said...

Um, I'm sticking to tequila shots.

A P said...

First one I ever had was a dirty vodka martini. Not a fan, especially of the olives. Gin though, gin makes it all better.