Friday, March 13, 2009

Pinkberry Buy One Get One Free!


Though up until this point I've managed to insulate myself from Manhattan's obsession with glorified frozen yogurt, Pinkberry's 2 for 1 deal just may break me down.

When I first moved to the city, I remember feeling slightly taken aback by the number of Pinkberry's I came across--not to mention all of its various copycats. From Red Mango and WildBerry to Yorganic and Yolato, this new wave of frozen yogurt franchises--with their endless penchant for portmanteau--seems to have done to the gourmet dessert market what Starbucks has done to coffee.

But I guess the overwhelming support for Pinkberry and the like shouldn't surprise me; in a city filled with the weight-conscious and health-obsessed, anything that's non-fat and non-sugared yet manages to still taste halfway decent is likely to be embraced.

So why haven't I joined in the frozen yogurt fanfare? It's not the concept I have a problem with--although, if I'm really craving something sweet, I'm more inclined to share a pint of Ben & Jerry's with Gus once every blue moon rather than buy a pricey cup of "green tea" flavored dairy paste that barely passes muster as yogurt.

Ok, maybe I do have a slight problem with the concept. But, on some level, I do understand the desire for a reasonably healthy (though admittedly, less enjoyable) dessert. Perhaps it's a knee-jerk reaction to cast off anything that's wildy popular, or maybe it was the dissapointment in finding out that these frozen yogurt places only offer a wimpy 2 or 3 flavors.

Though I have yet to pinpoint the issue, I am open to trying a cup to see what it's all about. And the coupon may just push me to be so adventurous. What are my readers' feelings about the frozen yogurt phenomenon? Are you a Pinkberry lover or hater?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never tried it either. I'm a real ice cream girl all the way. Preferably, Half Baked. But this coupon is tempting. Let's try it.

A P said...

They call it it Moxiberry out here and there is one around the corner. I think there is a good chance I'll never go in. I don't hate on it but it just doesn't do it for me. A chocolate Blizzard with peanut butter cups from DQ though. That's a different story.