Sunday, February 8, 2009

Momofuku Cookie Monster


So about 2 seconds after I got back from volunteering at ComicCon all day, I replenished my tired body with the food containing the least amount of nutritional value I could find in my kitchen: the Momofuku cookies from last night. At this point, speckles of grease had formed at the bottom of the take-out bag. This only confirmed that I was making the right decision.

My thoughts? For a good 45 seconds, I was lost in Momofuku heaven. I started with the Compost cookie. I wasn't quite sure how I would feel about the whole potato chip thing, but mixing salty and sweet in unexpected ways is precisely what seems to make Momofuku's creations so tasty. I couldn't really distinguish the potato chips--it's not like I bit into a cookie filled with Pringles--but I could definitely taste the pretzel bits and the chocolate and butterscotch chips. The flavors came together so well, and--what's more impressive to me as an amateur baker--the texture of the cookie was perfect. Crispy on the edges, but soft and chewy in the middle; just the way I like it. I only wish I could've harnessed my appetite long enough to grab a glass of milk to dip.

Next up was the Blueberry Cream cookie. This was also quite a delight, though not nearly as bodacious (but how could it be, without any chocolate?). Equally delicious and inventive in its own right, the cookie seemed to have a basic sugar cookie base, complemented by flavorful (I may even go so far as to say "plump") blueberries and a light, creamy sweetness. Basically it was a freshly-baked blueberry muffin in cookie form. If Momofuku ever wanted to launch their own form of Cookie Crisp cereal, this would be the cookie to go with.

As if I wasn't already anticipating my next visit, these two heavenly creations just turned my Momofuku love into Momofuku madness. They better have batches of peanut butter and banana cookies the next time I go!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So what happened at ComicCon to inspire such a decadent binge?

A P said...

Bodacious.

pastamama said...

Mmmnnn...Can't wait to try... But Pies are the queens of desserts. Where in the Big Apple can one find the Big Apple Pie??

Mr. Magnuson said...

doesn't momfuku mean mother-f-er on the japanese archipelago? I could be wrong, that's what a dentist friend of mine told me!

Mr. Magnuson said...

Wow, who "volunteers" at ComiCon? What are you some Princess Leia secret wannabe!? Did you need to pick up a few plastic sleeves for your vintage Josie and the Pussycats Edition number one!? No wonder you had to go back home and drown out your sorrows in a big cookie. It's no Black and White, but it looks good!

Unknown said...

Peanut butter...What could be better then peanut butter smeared on top of the MoFo's. Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

We are going there as soon as possible. I need a compost cookie!