Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cheap Restaurant Review: Dojo

I've heard many things about Dojo, a cheap eats hot spot located just a couple blocks shy of Washington Square Park. While it seems unanimously popular among NYU students, a few Google searches yielded some less-than-favorable reviews. NY Magazine, for instance, describes the menu as a "slapdash" of Asian foods and Western adaptations lacking "originality and flavor." Other sites have questioned the cleanliness of the kitchen, and reader reviews range from laudatory ("this place is gold.") to downright angry ("one of the worst restaurant experiences I've ever had.") Overall, Dojo seems to be a love-it or hate-it type of place, so yesterday afternoon, I decided to see at which end of the spectrum I fell.

Despite a packed house, my friends and I were immediately shown a table and given ice waters. I found NY Mag's description of the dining area as a "cafeteria meets rec room" slightly disparaging; while the decor is certainly nothing special, the wooden tables exude a communal feel, and the huge windows offer plenty of sunlight and good people-watching opportunity.

Ok, so far, so good. Then came the daunting task of deciding what to eat. I say daunting, because I found Dojo's wide array of offerings more frustrating and perplexing than generous. From miso soup and soy burgers to fried calamari, nachos, and pancakes, the menu seemed like a compliation of the wild fancies of a hungry pregnant woman; NY Magazine's "slapdash" description hit it right on the mark.

Did I want breakfast? Was I in the mood for Japanese? Would the traditional soup and salad hit the spot, or did I want to venture and try the curry yakisoba (whatever that is). Readers be warned: Dojo is not for the indecisive.

The only underlying factor that seems to bind the menu together are the cheap prices. And Dojo is refreshingly cheap. I got the "ATC" (avocado, tomato, and cheddar cheese) on toasted whole wheat bread with a side salad and their famous carrot tahini dressing for $5.95. Our bill came to $43, which covered four lunches, two appetizers, and beverages. Not too shabby. And the food was good: they seem to manage hummus and nachos equally well.

The verdict? Interestingly enough, I didn't love it or hate it. I liked it, because it fulfilled my expectations--I wasn't expecting goose liver pate and caviar for less than $6. My meal was great, and, despite the grumblings in many user reviews, the service was incredibly fast and friendly. Overall, it was a satisfying experience, though I wouldn't be surprised if it would've been completely different on another day of the week. Maybe Dojo's problem is the inconsistency factor. Nonetheless, we liked it enough to make plans to go back.

Location: 14 W 4th St (on the corner of Mercer)
Price: $2.25-$9.25 (Cash only!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Dojo is rather inconsistent, but the prices are too good to pass up for sure! They also have pretty good vegetarian options, which is always a plus (not necessarily for a meat eater like me, but for those friends of mind with more sensitive palates...)

Anonymous said...

I ate at Dojo once and I found it to be yummy with great prices. Although the service was a little lacking... the waitress was nowhere to be found when I wanted the bill. But I'm fairly willing to forgive the not-so-stellar service in exchange for the low prices.