Tuesday, March 3, 2009

NY Mag offers its Cheap Eats for 2009


New York Magazine just came out with their "Best of New York" issue. For those of you unfamiliar with this highly anticipated annual treat, think of it as their "SI swimsuit edition," if you will; the magazine gets right down to business, giving you what you really want and cutting out all the extra fluff. In this case, it's not skin and curves, but the créme de la créme of eating, drinking, and shopping in NYC.

Despite a disappointing deviation from their usually awesome covers (the Muppet Babies look is lost on me), this issue otherwise delivers on its promise, and this year's unsurprising focus on finding the best values makes it all the more topical.

As far as food is concerned, NY Magazine does what I attempt to do on a daily basis: find the best food on a budget. Except their reach and level of expertise is slightly superior to mine.

In the Eating section, for example, they have a handy little chart outlining the best bargains in burgers, pizza, hot dogs, sandwiches, and noodles. Though I like the idea behind this chart, I wish they would've taken it a little further; the crux of this issue is, after all, finding the best bargains. It could have been improved by adding more categories of food; finding a cheap burger is one thing, but find me the best values for real fruit smoothies, sushi, Indian food, burritos, and homemade baked goods and I'll really be impressed. I also don't understand why prices aren't listed for each food item (this is the whole point of the chart!). And the prices that are listed aren't exactly dirt cheap--I don't know about you, but I don't consider a noodle dish for $14 "a gourmet bargain."

I was more impressed by the feature titled "Am I Drunk, Or Are These Beers Really Cheap?" which compiles the best happy hour deals in the city. Two finds from this section deserve some attention here: The Village Pourhouse, which "match[es] the amount of your cab fare in comped drinks," and Bourbon St. NYC, which offers "fourteen ounces of Bud and Bud Light for 50 cents on Thursdays from 9 to 10 p.m., $1 until midnight, and $2 the rest of the way."

No comments: